Tuesday, November 13, 2007

First post

Today I join the ranks of others who have enlisted in this brave new world of blogging. It important to begin by explaining my background and reason for founding this blog.

My love of history was first ignited by my grandparents who were proud of their heritage in building this nation. Their complete collection of National Geographic Magazines became my window on the world and sparked a life long interest in history.

My first exposure to that world occurred in 1966 when after joining the Army I served in Vietnam. The experience for all it's brutality left me with a longing to study the effects of other wars. But the realities of having a family, led to a business career. Thirty years went by only to be interrupted again by war. The effect of 9/11 on my logistics business opened the door for me to return to school and pursue an advanced degree in U.S. History. Along the way I realized that our history can only be explained by understanding how World History shaped our own destiny.

This past spring I graduated with a Masters in History. In attaining this goal I have found a sense of redemption for the events that shaped my life back in 1966. Beginning in 1975, this country truly began to open it's doors to people from across the globe. The fall of South Vietnam and the addition of thousands of Vietnamese has been followed by millions of people from all over the world. The fabric of our nation is stronger with the inclusion of people who in the overwhelming majority are fulfilling our destiny of offering equal opportunity to all who come to our shores.

Blending American history and how it is connected to the shared history of people from across the globe has become my passion. I hope to spend the rest of my days offering my insight to the next generation.

No comments: